New Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Leaving Las Vegas......


Four-forty am came pretty darn early. Lucky Cookie gets to stay an extra day. The shuttle arrives at 5:15 am. Spend my ride to the airport talking to a young girl from NYC. Can't believe we discussed politics that early but we did. At 7:40 am, I am on my way home. During the flight, I discuss with the man sitting next to me the good and bad of Lass Vegas. He lived in Las Vegas for many years but has since moved to Greeley. Among things discussed was how Las Vegas is CHANGING their image. A few years back they were promoting themselves as a family destination. Now it is the old saying of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Treasure Island no longer has a kid show but a very risqué show called Sirens of TI. As the evening progress, more clothes come off the entertainers. The Circus area has more child related entertainment but is not located in the best of areas. We both agree, Las Vegas, despite the roller coaster on NYNY is not a place for young children. Even by the glitzy area of the City Center one can find street people handing out cards with half naked girls to call. The only place along the strip that seems to be ok for families is the Wynn/Encore area. As we got closer to Fort Collins I reflect on all the things I learned. First of all, if you plan a trip to Las Vegas, in addition to the price of the hotel you will most likely need to consider resort fees. These fees vary from hotel to hotel in what they cover. All hotels require a credit card or a certain amount of deposit money per day, to insure against damages. If you are a coffee drinker like myself, and want a coffee maker in the room, have your travel agent check to make sure it is included. Fees for the Internet vary as well. At the Rio, the charge is $12.95 a day. At Treasure Island it is $20.00 a day but does include some extras. Also, Vegas weather in March can be unpredictable. A lightweight coat maybe something to consider taking if you go at the beginning of the month. Good walking shoes are a must no matter where you stay if you are going to take in any of the strip. I always take an extra pair of shoes when I go out at night. That way, I can slip into something comfortable if we end up walking for quite a long way. On the upside, everywhere we went, people were very FRIENDLY. We also felt pretty safe but then again, we stuck to the strip hotels and didn't venture into unknown areas.

At 10:30 am the plane lands in the Loveland/Fort Collins Airport. As, I walk into the airport; I am surrounded by American patriotism as a soldier's family has come to welcome him home causing tears to rise in my eyes. Welcome home solider.

No comments:

Post a Comment